Problem with data=journal on root file system.

I am using RedHat 7.2 w/ kernel 2.4.7-10.  My / filesystem is configured as ext3.  I want to change it to use data=journaled instead

of ordered.  If I mount it from a boot floppy, it mounts fine.  (mount /dev/hda2 /mnt ?t ext3 ?o data=journal).  I have attempted to

find the correct procedure to start it up as journaled from grub to no avail.  I have created a new initrd image that works fine

with data=ordered.  I see where one procedure is to use lilo ?R linux rw rootflags=journal=update.  I?m confused about the

read&write aspect as well as why they used journal=update instead of data=journal.  This filesystem was created new with this

system, so I should not have to upgrade it.  Thanks.