Re: Kernel Panic while trying to use data=journal on root filesystem.

Rhett Gibson wrote:
> I am trying to use data=journal for my root file system.  If I add:
> Kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hda2 rootflags=data=journal
>
> To my grub.conf file, all I get is a kernel Panic, "EXT2-fs:
> Unrecognized mount option data.
> Kernel panic: VFS unable to mount root fs on 01:00"
>
> My fstab file is:
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults
> 1 1
>
> Any suggestions?

Use a kernel with ext3 support. AFAIK ext3 is only in kernels >= 2.4.15.
If this is a RedHat kernel upgrade to the latest errata kernel.

If you are sure that there is ext3 support in your kernel, check that
ext3 and jbd are compiled into the kernel or, if compiled as module, are
in the initrd image.

Juri

     then each of us still has one object.
     then each of us now has two ideas.