Block Groups and Large Filesystems

Hello,

I'm creating a large ext3 filesystem on an LVM volume, on top of a RAID1
for storing Norton Ghost disk images.  Most of the files created will be
between 1 and 10 GB; there may also be occasional small files also.

I'm already going to reduce the number of inodes on the filesystem.
Probably limit it to 102400 or so.

`mke2fs --help` reports a "-g blocks_per_group" option, but the man page
has no documentation on this.  When I try to use it, any value I've
specified returns "mke2fs: blocks per group count out of range"

Can I use this option to make larger block groups, which should reduce
fragmentation of my files?  Should I care about this?

--
      -Matt Stegman