Re: Block Groups and Large Filesystems

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 06:53:57PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 11:37:30AM -0500, Matt Stegman wrote:
>
> > Can I use this option to make larger block groups, which should reduce
> > fragmentation of my files?
>
> No, the default is already the maximum, and is limited by the fact
> that we require the block allocation bitmap to fit in a single page

The only reason why the option is there is because occasionally for
debugging purposes I want to make a filesystem with a smaller number
of blocks in a block group.  This is generally bad from a performance
standpoint, but it allows me to create test cases that have a larger
number of block groups without taking up quite as much disk space for
the test filesystem images.  That's why it's not documented; the
feature is basically never useful for production filesystems.

						- Ted