Offtopic: nfs, tmpfs and `getfh failed: Operation not permitted'

Sorry this is off-topic, but I'm scrambling to get this system in,
google didn't help, and I'm sure someone on this list knows the answer
cold.

I'm trying to nfs-export a tmpfs disk.  I saw a hint from a response
about ram disks... which leads to my guess that tmpfs simply doesn't
implement some method that nfsd needs.

I can probably survive without tmpfs, but I'd like to know if I'm just
missing something.

Thanks  ../Dave