Re: unmountable ext3 root recovery

>> Unable to recover, I tried deleting the has_journal option, but
>> that was disallowed given that the needs_recovery flag was set.  I
>> saw no way to unset that flag.

Andreas> Well, you could use "echo ^needs_recovery | debugfs -w
Andreas> /dev/foo" to remove this flag, and then use tune2fs to remove
Andreas> the journal.

I forgot about debugfs.

Does removing the needs_recovery and then the has_journal flags then
leave a fs essentially identical to a dump(8)/mke2fs(8)/restore(8)
sequence?  (In this particular case, there would not have been any
changes to the fs, other than access_time updates, in the journal.)

-JimC