Re: journal aborting and remounting /boot as ro

On Aug 22, 2002  17:27 +0100, John K O Brien wrote:
> My /boot filesystem is being remounted as read-only. I'm not sure what
> triggers it, I've seen the messages below waiting for me at the login
> prompt in the morning and they've also popped up as I was fiddling around
> in /boot trying to figure out what was wrong.
>
> journal_bmap_Ra7a5f568: journal block not found at offset 12 on ide0(3,1)
> Aborting journal on device ide0(3,1)
> ext3_abort called
> EXT3_fs abort (device ide0(3,1): ext3_journal_start: Detected aborted journal
> Remounting filesystem read-only

This is the error that is causing the filesystem to be remounted r/o.
The journal code cannot read a block in the journal.  It looks like it
is having problems reading the first indirect block (which holds the
address for block #12). This would indicate some sort of problem with
your disk (IDE DMA or similar).

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger