Re: power management and ext3 - mount as ext2?

On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 14:44, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-08-23 at 02:07, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Mounting your filesystems with noatime is a good start; this
> > prevents read accesses to files from causing the last accessed time
> > from being updated, which is a cause of many disk writes.
>
> Do you do this routinely, for both AC & battery operation?  Or do you
> remount with this parameter only when heading off the mains power?
>
> There's a lot going on in the system, and I'm new at this, so I wonder
> about potential inconsistencies.  Are there any concerns, or is this
> quite transparent?  I assume you've thought (and/or experienced) your
> way through these issues.

The only time I ever ran into a problem mounting with 'noatime' is with
/var/spool/mail and Mutt (and possibly other MUAs).

Another thing you can do is change syslog to not call fsync() after
every log message by prepending a '-' to the log file name in
syslog.conf.  This is a reasonable thing to do for a laptop, but not a
server.

Wil
--
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley nakedape cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *