Re: Ext3 indexed directory extension.

On Aug 23, 2002  10:12 +0200, Carles Xavier Munyoz Bald? wrote:
> Another issue, how may I know if one directory is or not indexed ?
> And, how may I create and indexed directory ?

Use lsattr <dir> with a newer e2fsprogs, and it will have a flag set,
I believe it is "h" (hash) or "i" (index).

Any new directory which grows from 1 block to 2 will be automatically
indexed.  Existing directories > 1 block will not yet be indexed (I
don't recall if support for indexing existing directories is in e2fsck).

I would suggest not using this on a production system and/or having
backups of your data.  This feature is still in the not-so-widely-used
stage.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger