hard disk write buffer?

Hi,
I've got a device that users will almost certainly be powering off without shutting down. I've got the hard disk in it (data only) setup for ext3, but I'm wondering about data written to the hard disk that's sitting in the hard disk's buffer.

A few things I'm thinking about:
Should I disable the hard disk write buffer, or does ext3 have a way of dealing with it safely?
Is there a use for the ext2 sync option anymore? My suspicion is that data=journal is just as safe, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
-Bill