Re: What to do? Error:(Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read) while doing inode scan.)

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 11:58:49AM +0100, Ed W wrote:

> So the question is how do I take this forward?  I assume that it means a
> dead sector?

Probably, yes.

> Is there any way to find out which files occupy that sector so
> that I can be suspicious of their quality?

debugfs can do that if you know the block number.

> Can I mark the sector as bad and
> recover any of the data?

You can't recover data from the bad sector, but you can map it out
with "e2fsck -c" if you want to.  If you don't do that, the drive
should map the bad block out anyway the next time you try to write to
it.

> Is this definitely a symptom of a failing disk?

Looks like it, although if it's just one sector it might be a one-off
thing.