Re: [patch] fix the ext3 data=journal unmount bug

Hi,

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 20:34, Chris Mason wrote:

> The bulk of the sync(2) will be async though, since most of the io is
> actually writing dirty data buffers out.  We already do that in two
> stages.

Not with data journaling.  That's the whole point: the VFS assumes too
much about where the data is being written, when.

> For 2.5, if an FS really wanted a two stage sync for it's non-data
> pages

But it's data that is the problem.  For sync() semantics,
data-journaling only requires that the pages have hit the journal.  For
umount, it is critical that we complete the final writeback before
destroying the inode lists.