ext3 to ext2 conversion causes kernel panic

Hi,

I try to convert my RedHat 7.3. partitions from ext3 to ext2. I have found a thread dealing with this issue.

Thus: “tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/foo” and “e2fsck /dev/foo” will do the magic! This works fine for “/boot” but when I try to convert “/” my kernel panics? The kernel panics message appears shortly after the attempt to startup kjournald

How can I prevent the kernel panic?

Thanks in advance,

Wolfgang