Re: ext3 to ext2 conversion causes kernel panic

commence  Wolfgang Auer quotation:

> I try to convert my RedHat 7.3. partitions from ext3 to ext2. I have
> found a thread dealing with this issue.
> Thus: "tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/foo" and "e2fsck /dev/foo" will do
> the magic!

You should probably use tune2fs -j /dev/foo instead.

> This works fine for "/boot" but when I try to convert "/" my
> kernel panics? The kernel panics message appears shortly after the
> attempt to startup kjournald.
> How can I prevent the kernel panic?

You are umounting the FSes before you convert them first, right?  If
you want to convert your root fs, you'll need to boot from a rescue
disk or somesuch.

I think you will also need to update your initrd, a procedure I am not
familar with.  I believe it is sufficient to change your fstab to
reflect the new type of / and then run mkinitrd, but perhaps someone
familiar with Red Hat could detail this?

--
[|] Sean Neakums            |  Questions are a burden to others;