Re: problem with Andrew's patch ext3

Octave wrote:

> Hello Andrew,
>
> I patched 2.4.20 with your patch found out on http://lwn.net/Articles/17447/
> and I have a big problem with:
> once server is booted on 2.4.20 with your patch, when I want to reboot
> with /sbin/reboot, server makes a Segmentation fault and it crashs.

It works OK here.  Could you please check that the kernel was fully
rebuilt?  Do a `make clean'?  If the kernel was not fully rebuilt
then things will go wrong because a structure size was changed.

There is a locking error in that patch, and it needs revision.  But
that wouldn't explain this crash.

And there is an unrelated use-after-free bug which could cause problems
if the fs runs out of space or inodes.

I'll get some fixes out later today.  It hasn't been a good week.