Re: Nasty ext3 errors 2.4.18

Hi,

On Sat, 2002-12-14 at 14:24, Glen Cumming wrote:

> I've got serious troubles - I posted a while back about experiencing
> ext3 errors using 2.4.18, at the time I put the problems down to
> harddisk failure, but these problems are occurring more and more - not
> all of our systems are having this problem but 3 systems have now shown
> this problem.

> Thu 12/12/02 15:50:37.315  [KMSG:<2>EXT3-fs error (device ide0(3,10)):
> ext3_free_blocks: Freeing blocks in system zones - Block = 128, count =
> 1]

99% of the time, this is a hardware fault.  You probably won't be happy
to hear that, but it is almost always the case.

> The only other thing to note is that there was a panic on kswapd a
> number of hours earlier - but I've seen these on other systems running
> 2.4.18 and they don't seem to cause any problems (I think).

Yikes, a kswapd panic is a critical error.  If I were you I'd be
rebooting systems immediately when that happens.  Please post such
errors here: when any kernel instability occurs, it is *always* the
first error which matters most (because subsequent errors are always
going to suffer from the suspicion that they are side-effects of that
first problem.)

memtest86 is a good first diagnostic in this sort of case.

Cheers