Re: Nasty ext3 errors 2.4.18

Hi Stephen,

> > Thu 12/12/02 15:50:37.315  [KMSG:<2>EXT3-fs error (device ide0(3,10)):
> > ext3_free_blocks: Freeing blocks in system zones - Block = 128, count =
> > 1]
>
> 99% of the time, this is a hardware fault.  You probably won't be happy
> to hear that, but it is almost always the case.

^^^
Your right! But the hardware failure scenario does seem to be the most likely
- I've monitored the customers system every few hours for the past 5 days and
it's just flakey - nothing in particular but just flakey - I guess its just
bad luck to get two systems with bad hardware, but then giving them to the
same customer - thats really bad luck.

> Yikes, a kswapd panic is a critical error.  If I were you I'd be
> rebooting systems immediately when that happens.  Please post such
> errors here: when any kernel instability occurs, it is *always* the
> first error which matters most (because subsequent errors are always
> going to suffer from the suspicion that they are side-effects of that
> first problem.)

> memtest86 is a good first diagnostic in this sort of case.

^^^
I agree - the first time I brought back a customers system with these
problems I put it on memtest86 for over 48 hours but no errors were reported
- really frustrating as I was convinced the memory was at fault.

Ah well another hardware swap looks likely.

Cheers,

Glen