Re: application level write ordering guarantees?

Hi,

On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 20:50, Ben Escoto wrote:

> I see.  So if I want to require that a file gets renamed before
> another file gets deleted, after the rename I would fsync() the file?

It depends. :-)

ext3 provides stronger ordering guarantees than some other Linux
filesystems.  On ext3, a fsync of the renamed file would be sufficient.
On ext2, you'd need to fsync the parent directory in order to guarantee
that the directory name was consistent.

> If the file is moving from one directory to another I would also have
> to fsync() the destination (?) directory?

On ext2, yes.  (Or you could set the directory to be synchronous, with
chattr.)  On ext3, the fsync will guarantee the entire rename is on
disk.