wtmp repair - painless

hi,

from reiserfs it`s known to happen quite often - wtmp may be corrupted;
but actually I`m using only ext2/3 on the test machine.
After 7 days running the RH8 system I`ve noticed the first corruption of wtmp.
last shows only the line
wtmp begins Wed Dec 11 09:14:52 2002

and
/usr/sbin/dump-utmp wtmp
spits out the history,
e.g. the last line
|Sun Dec 15 14:36:34 2002
ithum                           |:0                              |7|:0
|20487|136.46.1.64    |

I do not have any idea whether this unknown IP address may be a successful
hacker attack or not. Or is the corruption the fault of the ext3 filesystem?
Despite that I`d like to know if there is any way of painless repair of wtmp
(like wtmpfix on AIX, True64).
Hexedit shows me a bit garbage (?), but my tries to repair the file have not
been successful until now.

thanks for any help
--
 . ___