[wietse@porcupine.org: Re: syncronous directory operation for linux (ext2)]

There's a big thread about filesystems on postfix-users postfix org

Could you shed some light on that issue?

----- Forwarded message from Wietse Venema <wietse porcupine org> -----

From: wietse porcupine org (Wietse Venema)
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 07:53:26 -0500 (EST)
To: Lawrence Greenfield <leg+ andrew cmu edu>
Cc: Wietse Venema <wietse porcupine org>, postfix-users postfix org
Subject: Re: syncronous directory operation for linux (ext2)

Lawrence Greenfield:
>    Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 22:22:25 -0500 (EST)
>    From: wietse porcupine org (Wietse Venema)
>
>    This patch is not useful. On Linux file systems it has no effect
>    at all.  On FFS it has no useful effect at all, either unless soft
>    updates are turned on, which is not the default.
>
> Huh?  That's not true at all.
>
> On ext3fs, the fsync() afterwards will flush the log, thus forcing the
> link() to disk, just like it forces the link() to disk in softupdates.

fsync() flushes the whole damned ext3 log? That would be lame.

I expected they fixed that behavior long ago.

	Wietse
-
To unsubscribe, send mail to majordomo postfix org with content
(not subject): unsubscribe postfix-users

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (Im Auftrag des Referat V A)   Ralf Hildebrandt charite de
Charite Campus Virchow-Klinikum                 Tel.  +49 (0)30-450 570-155