Re: slowdown and reiserfs

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 11:28:11AM +0100, Joe Radinger wrote:
> hi
> i got 2 questions and maybe someone could shed some light:
>
> a) i'm using kernel 2.4.17 and use ext3 in it. is it possible that the
> whole system is slower than with ext2? i switched back to ext2 (great
> feature!!!) and the system's  response seemed somewhat better.
> should/could there be such a effect as double writing of journaled data?

It kind of depends on your hardware and disk usage. In many cases, however,
ext3 has higher performance because it can serialize operations.

> i didnt activate debugging (jbd).
>
> b) is reiserfs compatible with ext3?

You can have it compiled into the same kernel and run it on the same
computer as ext3, if that's what you mean.

> is it possible use both journaling filesystems at the same time (of
> course on different partitions :))

Yes. I'm doing that right now, in addition to using XFS for source
libraries and JFS for temporary stuff.

> i think i remember some talks about namespace-collisions.

I don't recall anything like that. I've been using both ext3 and ReiserFS
since the 2.4.5 kernel. Maybe it was before that?

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar attglobal net)