Re: slowdown and reiserfs

#include <hallo.h>
Joe Radinger wrote on Mon Feb 04, 2002 um 02:37:19PM:

> > It kind of depends on your hardware and disk usage. In many cases, however,
> > ext3 has higher performance because it can serialize operations.
>
> hmm
> hardware is a p2 350 mhz with 120gb (linux)  + 20gb (beos and windows
> thus not used :))), with 256 mb ram.

Stop! Before making comparisons, please look for the average
_throughput_. It may happen that you have the _feeling_ that the machine
is slower since _more_ data is transferred using ext3 and the CPU load
is higher.

> maybe i should try and benchmark my system. any suggestions?

Why not...

> > > i think i remember some talks about namespace-collisions.
> >
> > I don't recall anything like that. I've been using both ext3 and ReiserFS
> > since the 2.4.5 kernel. Maybe it was before that?
>
> sure it was some time ago.

The reiserfs patch for 2.2.19/20 has collitions with ext3. Not a problem
in 2.4.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
No Jolt and no Musik makes Alfie go crazy ...
                    -- kw in #debian.de