Re: 2GB of Waste? How can it be?

begin  IT3 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR-R  quotation:

> 	In theory, I agree with your concerns about changing ext2/ext3,
> but stability ought not to be the reason to never improve things.

The goal of ext3, as I understand it, was simply to be "ext2 plus
journaling", and to be backward and forward compatible with ext2 for
ease of migration. Dynamic inodes are irrelevant to the former, and
fundamentally in conflict with the latter.

If anyone wants to start up a new fs project to create "ext2 [or ext3]
plus dynamic inodes", they are free to do so; but whining at the ext3
team because that doesn't happen to be one of their goals is silly.

> 	I believe this choice was made, simply to promote ext3, not out
> of the need of users.

Speaking as someone who is neither a Red Hat employee, nor a Red Hat
user (my machines all run Debian) nor an ext3 developer, and therefore
free to speak my mind without concern for diplomacy -- this is obviously
utter bullshit. Get a grip.

Craig