Re: 2GB of Waste? How can it be?

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 07:13:12PM -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> But even if you still consider it "essential," then XFS is a
> _even_better_alternative_ to ReiserFS V3!  In addition to its
> dynamic inode allocation, XFS can store a small file's data in its
> inode, for space savings (i.e. doesn't use a data block).  ReiserFS
> still requires you to eat a 4KB (or whatever the basic size is) data
> block,

No, reiserfs allows you to store the last non-block-aligned tail part
of a file in the tree nodes themselves, rather than taking up a whole
block.  Reiserfs does definitely give you good small-file efficiency
as a result.

There are tail-merging patches for ext2 to do the same, btw.  We've
been looking at whether that can be adapted for ext3 extended
attributes --- if so, we can get ext3 tails stored in an EA and
achieve the same sort of space efficiency that reiserfs gains with its
own tail merging.