when does journal flush with data=journal

I'm trying to eek every last bit of performance out of a sync NFS server using ext3.

I created a 400MB journal, for my data=journal disk. When copying a 200MB file to the machine, by the sound of the disk, it flushed data to disk about 4 times, so, about every 50MB.

For the purposes of user experience, it would be great if this could be tuned. I'd set it to just over a couple sigmas out from the average of my users' file sizes (lots of big medical imaging slugs).

Is this possible? Are there defaults?

Thanks,
-Bill