postfix and ext3

I am running postfix on RH machine. decided to upgrade one of my machines from 7.1 to 7.2 - performance drop of 75
percent !!!!!

moved back to ext2(remount partition as ext2) - performance is back.

on the 7.1 upgraded to ext3 (only the disks), rebooted - performance
drop of 70 percent...

used a 2.4.17 kernel compiled by myself - a little faster then the
last RH kernel, but still runs at third of the best speed !!!

mountext all partitions as ext3 except /var (postfix queue is there) - performance is good.

any comments, suggestions ? i don't thiink it's an acceptable compromise to loose 75% performance to gain better recoverablility, considering the stability of linux.

Alex