Re: postfix and ext3

On Feb 10, 2002  01:18 +0200, Alex Kramarov wrote:
> I am running postfix on RH machine. decided to upgrade one of my machines
> from 7.1 to 7.2 - performance drop of 75 percent !!!!!
>
> moved back to ext2(remount partition as ext2) - performance is back.
>
> mountext all partitions as ext3 except /var (postfix queue is there) -
> performance is good.

You should mount your mail spool with "data=journal".  While this may
seem contradictory (forcing journaling for the data in addition to the
metadata), it will likely improve the performance for sync I/O loads
like mail servers because it can do all of the I/O to the journal without
any seek or sync overhead while the mail is arriving.  Eventually the
journal will flush the data to the disk, but this can be done async
because it is already safe in the journal.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger