Re: root ext3 gets fsck'ed after crash

begin  Andreas Dilger  quotation:

> On Feb 18, 2002  11:33 -0500, Joe Krahn wrote:
> > Andreas Dilger wrote:
> >
> > > Did you compile ext3 as a module, and/or you are using an initrd?  That
> > > is the most common cause for mounting the root as ext2.
> >
> > This is on a plain, redhat-compiled kernel, which has ext3 as a
> > module. No initrd, using GRUB bootloader.
>
> Well, ext3 can't mount a root filesystem if it isn't available at the
> time the root filesystem is mounted.  Either you need to load the ext3
> module from an initrd, or compile it into the kernel.  While the on-disk
> layout of ext2 and ext3 are basically the same, the kernel drivers are
> separate, so it is not possible to remount an ext2-mounted filesystem
> with the ext3 driver later on.

Let me see if I have this straight:

1. Red Hat 7.2 uses ext3 as its default filesystem for new installations.
   (Do they also offer to convert ext2 --> ext3 when upgrading?)

2. Red Hat 7.2's standard vendor-supplied kernel images have ext3 as a
   module, and no initrd (or the initrd does not include ext3).

Therefore:

3. Red Hat 7.2, without user customization of the kernel or initrd, will
   _never_ mount its root partition as ext3.

Have I got that right? It seems rather lame.

Craig