ext3 mount problem after upgrading kernel

Hi,

I use RH 7.2 (the download version) with kernel 2.4.9-13 (upgraded by using the Up2date program). Today i used Up2date (version 2.7.11) to upgrade to 2.4.9-21 (kernel, headers and source). I get the following error while the new kernel is booting:

EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock
mount: error 22 mounting ext3
pivotroot: pivot_root (/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd) failed: 2

Of course this leads to kernel panic a few steps later since the init program cant be found.

I have never had any problems mounting ext3 filesystems earlier, not with the standard kernel in the original download version of RH 7.2, or with the previous kernel upgrade of RH 7.2 (to 2.4.9-13).

Not that i think it matters in this case, but i supply the information anyway: I use a Dell Dimension 8100 system with a Maxtor 40GB IDE disk. When the kernel probes it during boot, it is identified as an Maxtor 5T040H4, ATA disk drive, wich should be correct (the 2.4.9-13 kernel probes and get the same result).

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanx

/Janne