Re: hardware error or fs corruption?

On Tuesday, February 26, 2002, at 09:32 , Michael Renner wrote:
I noticed various IDE/DMA errors when activating UDMA on IDE Devices whose
controllers drivers were not included in the kernel. These errors usually
show up immediately after activating UDMA when you stress the filesystem a
bit (e.g. unpacking a kernel). If your server ran flawless the last
weeks/months/years with udma activated its most likely a harddrive error..

I just let some heavy disk i/o stuff run for a few hours with UDMA off and didn't get any errors.

I think I'll still RMA the drive though. It's not doing anything important now so it's not a big deal. I think I'll also grab a Promise ATA card while I'm at it to use instead of the HTP366.

Interesting note. Someone over on lkml just reported similar error code under same kernel version. Just a coincedence?

Thanks for the tips.

Mohammad A. Haque                              http://www.haque.net/
                                               mhaque haque net

  "Alcohol and calculus don't mix.             Developer/Project Lead
   Don't drink and derive." --Unknown          http://www.themes.org/
                                               batmanppc themes org