Re: root fs not mounting ext3

joe lerch wrote:

> I am using SuSE 7.3 compiled ext3 support into the kernel and installed it.
> All my partitions load up as ext3 except / . I ran tune2fs several times,
> still doesn't take on the / drive. Most recent dumpe2fs -h show no features
> on that drive=, I keep going around in circles, removing .journal from / and
> running tune2fs but it never works for /

> Linux version 2.4.10-4GB (root -) (gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (SuSE)) #1 Fri

Kernel 2.4.10 had a bug which prevents tune2fs from being able to alter the
superblock of the root filesystem.

I'd strongly suggest a kernel upgrade if that's at all possible.   If not, you'll
need to boot from a rescue disk of some form so you can run tune2fs -j
against hda6 while it's truly unmounted.

-