problem mounting root as ext3 on init

I have kernel 2.4.16 with ext3 compiled (not as a module), with redhat 7.1,
and downloaded lilo 22.1 from util-linux 2.11n but still,
on init the root fs is mounted initially as ext2 as read-only,
afterwards it is unmounted and mounted again as read-write ext3.
this causes problems upon unclean shutdown where I have to fsck it just like
ext2.
does anyone know this problem ?