Assertion failure in 2.2.20

My system had the following error sent to syslog:

kernel: Assertion failure in ext3_free_blocks() at balloc.c line 358:
"bh->b_committed_data != NULL"

Immediately before that with the same timestamp was a sendmail entry.  The
system locked up shortly after that.  I never saw an oops.  I was tailing
/var/log/messages in a terminal.  That syslog entry was not saved to disk.  I
have not been able to repeat that error.

Slackware 8.0
2.2.20
ext3-0.0.7
96MB RAM