Major problems

I am having major problems on one of my file-servers. I have the root
filesystem on an Ext3 software RAID 1 between four SCSI drives. It had been
running for about two months without problems, but today I found it was
having some trouble with unlinked inodes and I/O errors on certain files. I
took it down to single-user mode, and ran fsck on it. That operation mixed
up files like /etc/hosts with /etc/rc.sysinit, and vice versa. I
straightened those out, and ran fsck again. That happened to trash such
files as /etc/raidtab and /etc/passwd and caused I/O errors so that I could
not straighten it out.  Running fsck again made the problem worse by making
/etc/rc.sysinit unaccessible, and preventing me from booting up at all. I don't have helpful snippets from the error log since I was on a serial
terminal and was incapable of paging up. I'm glad I finally got the
terminal up to 38400 b/s though....

Right now, I am probably going to have to re-install, but I am wondering if
there is anything I can do in the future to prevent errors like this.

Thanks for the help!

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar attglobal net)