Re: Change defaults to data=journal on /

On Thursday, January 17, 2002, at 03:26 , Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 03:26:30PM -0800, Gabe E. Nydick wrote:
> How come if I install a fresh redhat 7.2 system and change fstab from
> defaults to data=journal for the / file system, it breaks everything?

Because you can't change the data journaling mode for a mounted
filesystem --- ext3 complains if you try --- and /etc/fstab is not
readable when root first gets mounted, so it necessarily always gets
mounted with the default ordered journaling mode.

I'll hopefully overcome this limitation in the future, either by
getting mkinitrd to read the journaling mode from fstab when creating
the initial mount script, or by letting ext3 store journaling modes
persistently in the filesystem superblock so that we can set a
different default for root.

I'm attempting the same and run into a symbol resolution problem in lib/ext3.o whether I use mkinitrd with 'defaults,data=journal' as my fstab ext3 options or I manually tag '-o data=journal' to the / mount command in linuxrc on the initrd image.

Is the Redhat 7.2 stock kernel capable of running in data=journal mode? Would there be additional module dependencies in that mode or do I just have something else wrong? (The filesystem is running ext3 with the defaults just fine).

If someone has a recipe that'd be great.

Thanks,
-Bill
-----
Bill McGonigle