Re: Ext3 problems possibly plauging me

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 05:11:13PM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> Well, unfortunately the oops message (screenshot in a separate email)
> is mostly unusable because it has not been decoded via ksymoops on
> your machine.  There was one oops during e2fsck, but there shouldn't
> be anything that e2fsck could do to cause a kernel oops, as it is a
> user-space process.

> Can't comment.  The e2fsck run got "signal 11" which for gcc normally
> means that you have a memory error.  I don't know if the same applies
> to e2fsck (if it is a libc/malloc error message it might).

Signal 11 just means "Segmentation Violation".  It could mean bad
memory; or it could be a program bug.  The fact though that you also
reported an oops while e2fsck is running (which indicates either a
memory error or a kernel bug), starts to make me very suspicious that
you have some kind of memory or cache problem.

						- Ted