Re: OOPS: kernel BUG at transaction.c:1857 on 2.4.17 while rm'ing 700mb file on ext3 partition.

Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 11:53:27PM +0100, frode wrote:
I got the following error while rm'ing a 700mb file from an ext3 partition:
Assertion failure in journal_unmap_buffer() at transaction.c:1857:
"transaction == journal->j_running_transaction"
Hmm --- this is not one I think I've ever seen before.
Have you been able to reproduce any problems yet?

No reproducible problems, just more random oopses (like in http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=101205570604468&w=2)

iput() crash; page list crash; jbd transaction crash.  These look
perfectly consistent with random memory corruption.
[memtest86]
Try leaving it running overnight --- half an hour is very little time
for a proper memory test.

Others have suggested this by mail also, and after running memtest for 4 hours, what do you know, a bit error occured.

Test#: 4
Pass#: 6
Failing address: 0aed1f64 - 174.8mb
Good pattern: 00080000
Bad pattern:  000a0000
Error bits:   00020000
Count: 1

I'm pretty sure that 256mb no-brand memory chip I added one year ago is to blame.
I'll try running memtest86 for 8+ hours as soon as feasible, but I guess I should just throw out the old RAM and put in some new.

I guess all I have to say is, sorry for wasting your time! :(

Anyway, thanks for your interest - at least I'm close to a solution now! :)

- Frode