Re: File logging for use with rsync

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 08:43:57AM +1200, Stuart Inglis wrote:
> Is it possible for ext3 to give a list of changed files over time?
> Currently we use rsync to back up our server, but it takes > 24 hours to
> backup the full file system.
>
> Ideally I'd like to use the file system to give me a list of files that
> have been created/updated and I'll back those up.
>
> Is this possible?

See http://www.inter-mezzo.org/

I don't recommend that you roll this out on your production servers,
at least not without extensive testing ...

Also, you might want to have a look at rdiff-backup:

http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/

It has a number of advantages over pure rsync.

Regards,

   - Bill Rugolsky