Re: Addendum to previous email re: "Wasted Space"

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 03:30:45PM -0500, Tal Kedem wrote:
> Also, it's important to note that 'du -h' reports the appropriate amount
> of space used and that the drive appears, in all other regards, to be
> properly using the space.  Is this perhaps a bug with how Windows reads
> the available space left on SMB shares?  (Likely a Windows problem)

Could be --- it sounds like some oddity in how Samba is exporting the
space, possibly due to the fact that ext2/3 reserve a static inode
table on disk.  300GB out of a 1.2TB filesystem sounds a bit much,
though --- it could be that something is getting 32-bit arithmetic
wrong in the Windows side of things, too, as we're close to wrapping
several counters once you get into the TB fs range.