ext3 and raw devices

I doubt that this is actually an ext3 problem so I'm taking
a bit of a liberty, but...

We have several machines that have two ext3 partitions
(/, /boot) and a large raw partition. Something happened that
destroyed both the ext3 partitions on all machines.

I appears that the app writing to the raw partition had
a bug that caused it to write to negative block numbers
and that this wrote all over the disk. But I would have
thought that the writes would have been constrained
but the raw device. Is there an ext3 issue or is it a bug
in the rawdevice implementation? TIA

--
Ian Leonard
eMail: ileonard ntlworld com

Please ignore spelling and punctuation - I did.