[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

RE: Changing journaling mode on root / loop-aes



Mr. Rugolsky:

	I am curious about a few things, perhaps you can advise me.

	(a) I just went to rawhide, and I saw that the current version
of the RPM you suggested to update is now version 3.4.13 vice 3.4.12, I
presume it makes little difference to have the newer version with RH
7.3?

	(b) Once I install the new mkinitrd, if I need to rebuild my
kernel anyway, ought that also create a new and proper initrd for me?

	(c) if I did not need to rebuild my kernel, but in fact did a
make install, would that not also rebuild my mkinitrd?

	(d) Will the fact that I am updating mkinitrd affect any of the
kernel make files or scripts?

	Thanks in advance for your assistance.


Very Respectfully, 

Stuart Blake Tener, IT3 (E-4), USNR-R, N3GWG 
Beverly Hills, California
VTU 1904G (Volunteer Training Unit) 
stuart bh90210 net 
west coast: (310)-358-0202 P.O. Box 16043, Beverly Hills, CA 90209-2043 
east coast: (215)-338-6005 P.O. Box 45859, Philadelphia, PA 19149-5859 

Telecopier: (419)-715-6073 fax to email gateway via www.efax.com (it's
free!) 

JOIN THE US NAVY RESERVE, SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, AND BENEFIT FROM IT ALL. 

Saturday, July 13, 2002 2:52 PM


-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Rugolsky Jr. [mailto:brugolsky telemetry-investments com] 
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 12:45 PM
To: Tener, Stuart B., IT3 , USNR-R
Cc: ext3-users redhat com
Subject: Re: Changing journaling mode on root / loop-aes

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 11:40:26AM -0700, Tener, Stuart B., IT3 , USNR-R
wrote:
> 	(c) I then made sure that /etc/fstab had the "data=journal"
> option in the root partition entry. Then I verified that
> "rootflags=data=journal" was placed in the /etc/grub/grub.conf file
> properly, and rebooted. However, the same result occurred the "03:06"
> boot error...AGAIN!?! ARGH!!!

Sorry to join this party late, but ....

You say elsewhere in this thread that you are using a RH7.3ish system
with an initrd.  But the rootflags=data=journal flag is only for use
when ext3 is compiled into the kernel.  [Someday Rusty Russell will
unify param handling, $DEITY willing.]  When using an initrd with the
ext3 and jbd modules, you need to place the appropriate options in
/etc/fstab, and remake the initrd.  Caveat: the version of mkinitrd
that shipped with RH7.3 does not do this automatically.  In fact, it
was added on 2002/05/21 by Erik Troan:

   * Tue May 21 2002 Erik Troan <ewt redhat com>
   - use options from fstab for root filesystem (56071)

[Courtesy of "rpm -q --changelog mkinitrd" on my box.]

The number in parentheses is the bugzilla number; see
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=56071

So what you have to do is go to Rawhide and grab a recent mkinitrd,
install it with rpm -Uvh mkinitrd-*.i386.rpm,
then rebuild your initrd.

Something like:

   rpm -Uvh mkinitrd-3.4.12.i386.rpm
   cp /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.sav
   mkinitrd -v /boot/initrd-`uname -r`.img `uname -r`

and reboot.

Regards,

   Bill Rugolsky








[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]