Re: ext3 device reported to be 100% full, but we do not know where? - solved

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 10:13:37PM +0200, Michael Hoennig wrote:
> That IS the reason, and I found the cause: There was a nohup job writing
> to nohup.out, which was deleted every 30 minutes by a cronjob instead of
> truncated. These dead nohup.outs were not reported by lsof, and of cause
> not linked in the file system anymore, but yet using up space.  Isn't the
> last point a bug?

Of course not; you have a file descriptor to which you can (in the general
case) read/write/seek arbitrarily.  It needs to be stored *somewhere* and
that is in the filesystem.  This behaviour has been used for implementing
temporary files that are automatically cleaned up (see tmpfile(3))
upon file close / program exit for a *long* time.

Cheers,

   Bill Rugolsky