Re: Anybody seeing this OOPS

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 05:00:16PM +0530, BALBIR SINGH wrote:

> Pardon me, but this might be just my impression. Ext3 these days
> has been very unstable on my system (I ran h/w tests to ensure it
> is not a h/w problem, I checked my SCSI disk using the BIOS and the
> memory using memtest).

How long did you run memtest for?  Be aware that memtest is NOT
guaranteed to find memory problems.

> Have you tried running a some tests on ext3 with DEBUG_EXT3 and
> CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB
> turned on? I will try IOZONE with these options and see if I can find
> something.

Yes.  Internally in Red Hat, we've had debugging versions of released
kernels stressed for weeks on a number of large test boxes without any
such problems being visible.  kmem cache problems in the buffer head
lists (such as you seem to be having) are signs of bad hardware 99% of
the time.

--Stephen