Re: ext3+raid 1: Assertion failure in journal_commit_transaction()

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 01:32:15PM -0400, Rich Graves wrote:

> We're getting the below errors about once a day on a system we're trying to
> set up with RedHat 7.3. This has happened to multiple filesystems on
> multiple physical and logical disks (basically we've got 4 drives as 2 sets
> of RAID 1 arrays, details below).

> I see various complaints about ext3+software RAID 1 in the archives, but
> they all seem to come down to older versions or hardware (mostly RAM)
> problems.

There are plenty of references to this problem in the archives, too:
it was fixed a few weeks ago.  Fortunately there's an errata out
already:

> Assertion failure in journal_commit_transaction() at commit.c:535:\
>  "buffer_jdirty(bh)"
> Linux arachne.unet.brandeis.edu 2.4.18-3smp #1 SMP Thu Apr 18 07:27:31 EDT 2002 i686 unknown

2.4.18-3smp has the fault.  It's an SMP-only problem which has been
there for ages but is only just showing up recently; I suspect that's
due to timing changes elsewhere.  The Red Hat 2.4.18-4smp errata fixes
it.