Re: Unexpected dirty buffer encountered at do_get_write_access:598

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 06:31:15PM +1000, harisri wrote:

> I have a Linux-2.4.19pre10aa4 computer and I have seen an error message
> "Unexpected dirty buffer encountered at do_get_write_access:598 (03:05
> blocknr 0)" appears in the log.

> The one and only File system in my computer is /, and it is an EXT3 fs
> (mounted with defaults options). Is this error message is an indication
> of any serier nature?

Usually not, but it can be (particularly in data=journal mode), which
you're not using.  It can also arise if you are running something like
"dump" or "tune2fs" on a mounted filesystem --- it should be benign in
those cases as long as it's a recent kernel.

The current ext3 cvs contains one fix for the known instance where
this can happen unexpectedly (the one that can corrupt data=journal
systems).