[Fwd: Part 2: the RAW Facts on Filesystems]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Part 2: the RAW Facts on Filesystems
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 22:16:45 -0600
From: "Mike Chambers" <mike netlyncs com>
To: "RedHat - Enigma" <enigma-list redhat com>

"[...] Once again, the ext3 filesystem is the clear winner for database
creation, loading and indexing. And once again the Reiser filesystem
came in last, choking on the index builds. As with the AS3AP
benchmark results, all the cooked filesystems had roughly the
same performance for the transactional portions of the TPC-C benchmark.

Even the RAW device scenario with twice the memory allocation could
not compete. In fact, the improvement was so slight as to essentially
scare me away from RAW devices on any Linux database project for the
foreseeable future.

Based upon the TPC-C benchmark results, one should choose the ext3 filesystem.

In closing, it's very reassuring when multiple, different natured
industry standard benchmarks yield similar results. In case you're
wondering, I obtained similar results with Benchmark Factory's other
half dozen or so database benchmarks. ext3 it is."

Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY
Netlyncs