Re: ext3 on Linux software RAID1

"Stephen C. Tweedie" wrote:

> There hasn't been a compiler since as long as I can remember which
> hasn't broken the kernel in at least one of its incarnations.
> gcc-2.96-97.1 should be solid for the kernel.  At least one older
> release of 2.96 was broken in nasty ways.

hmm.  The version I had the failures with was earlier than
that.  I was getting the strange death down in the swap code,
removing ptes, iirc.  Chuck Lever posted a detailed analysis
of exactly the same bug on linux-kernel yesterday.  Heaps and
heaps of detail, except he forgot to mention the compiler version!

>  If I can show you a version
> of 2.91 which breaks the kernel, will you forswear 2.91.66 too?  :-)

Only if the later versions compiles kernels at the same speed :)
Everything after 2.95 is a compile-speed dog (burn, burn).

-