Re: another quota related ext3fs crash...

At 09:58 +0100 Michael Renner wrote:

>> >devfs kernel + userland daemon running, local APIC (uniprocessor system)
>>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Bzzt. Do you *need* devfs? Personally I've found it very crashy.
>
>not necessarily, haven't got any problems with it though. I'll deactivate
>it in the next kernel...  what kind of instability did you experience with
>devfs?

Random crashes, usually after not too much uptime. Nothing deterministic,
I'm afraid, except to say that rebuilding without devfs made it more
stable..

>> never hurts to run memtest86 even on RAM you thought good
>
>i'll try that too but i doubt that the ram is bad, i had uptimes around 60
>days without any probles (which where only interrupted by kernel upgrades
>and/or those dreaded ext3 crashes)

I had one machine which had passed memtest86, went into production for a
couple of months, ever-so-suddenly started crashing after minutes of
uptime, re-ran memtest86 and there were *thousands* of errors :-/

"You do the math,"

Matt :)