Howto recovering an ext3 fs

Dear ext3 hackers,

I'm running a RH 7.2 system with kernel 2.4.18 an a ext3 fs.

Yesterday night this machine, which is being tested with a Proxy server
(Squid), was accidentally power off (electrical outage). Now, when the
system is booted, I have a ext2 'read only' fs; fsck doesn't find any kind
of problem (automatic or manually executed: fsck -t ext3 /dev/sdb1). The
only fstab option set is: data=writeback.

I don't have any reported error from /var/log/messages.

I'd like to know (1) why this fs can't be mounted in rw mode, (2) how can I
do to repair/mount it in rw mode and (3) why it is being mounted as ext2.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
Jorge Carminati.

P.S.: Please cc to jcarminati pluspetrol com ar, as I'm not subscribed to
this mailing list.