Re: Howto recovering an ext3 fs

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 jcarminati pluspetrol com ar wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Now I know where all this begans...
>
> Anyway, I still don't understand why mount reported that it had an ext2 fs
> in rw mode mounted (wrong) while actually was mounted ext3 in ro mode,
> which disconcerted me a little more.

>From the mount man-page:

       The programs mount and umount maintain a list of currently
       mounted file systems in the file /etc/mtab.  If  no  argu-
       ments  are given to mount, this list is printed.  When the
       proc filesystem is  mounted  (say  at  /proc),  the  files
       /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts have very similar contents. The
       former has somewhat more information, such  as  the  mount
       options  used,  but is not necessarily up-to-date [..]

It's very likely that the mtab had some "pre-crash" information in it and
didn't get updated because the / partition was mounted ro.

best regards, michael